 Star Wars / 12112
Re: Ultimate Mini-fig scale X-Wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:32:17 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:

Heh, I'm just a stickler for scale :) Often makes me wish I weren't since
minifigs are so grossly disproportionate to real people :)

Heh...what can I say, I love the mini-fig.  They can look cute or
devastating (or both-try making a female astronaut in all red with a clear
helmet and red visor.  And don't forget the weapon!)

Hmmm...I'd like to see pics if they exist (point me).

They didn't, but I put some quick ones together:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/swpics.cgi

Good thing you wrote lots of notes, because the site seems to having
problems.  Traffic because everybody is rushing to see the pics?  Ah,
yeah...we'll just keep that exuse :)

Some notes on mine:
- I'd love to try and redo it in white like Mark's... the only piece that I
know of that doesn't come in white is the grey barrels on the engines...

Gray!  GRAY!  If they are gonna tell me an accurate non-dirty X-Wing is
white, then screw accuracy because I want a gray one.

- The nose is a little too wide, and also a bit blocky
- I tried first with click hinges, though the thing that got me was that
when the S-foils were in X formation, there wasn't any gap between the wings
at the body, unlike the "real" thing (this is looking at the production
models from Star Wars) where a sizeable gap forms as the wings spread apart.

Hmmm..don't follow you.  With the clickies, theres a gap, alright...maybe
between 2 plates and a brick.  I'm not sure how big it's supposed to be,
maybe your right and it needs to be larger.  I considered using something
other than clicks, just to have the lower wings upside down, I can't seem to
get the S-Foils to form together totally correct using clicks while the
lower wings are "reversed".  Really the upper and lower foils should be
touching each other and that doesn't happen, theres a wee space.  But in the
end I had the studs on all the wings facing up, and clicks.

So I actually attached the opposing wings together and hinged it around the
very center of the model, making it slightly more accurate, but mostly just
fun to fiddle with!

I'll wait for those pics...

- The rear detailing isn't really that great-- I was actually also rather
interested to try your technique since it gives the 'hexagonal' impression
that the actual body has-- slightly more accurate :)

I have absolutely no idea how I get ideas (hey, wait...)

Seriously, though.  These things have puzzled me for years...all of a sudden
I feel like redesigning an X-Wing and I think of a solution to everything
and build it over the course of three days.  I never thought a proton
torpedo would be possible; the right pieces so happened to be in front of me
at the right time.
- The rear and front landing gears really should be longer... The front one
is easily extendable, but was only shortened to match the rear ones...
ideally (and very difficultly) I'd like them to "fit nicely" when retracted
in the rear, which proved to be a problem :(

My rear gear works pretty well, except it's a tad fragile.  They would
prevent the lower s-foils from opening, so thats why theres a 2x4 brick on
the fuselage in between them instead of inverse slopes, a place for the gear
when the wings open.

Heres a tip for somebody trying to make an X-Wing with the 1x4 hinge plate
idea; Lightsabers.  Lets say the top of the nose is done; thats easy.  Just
layer it with tiles then put the "covering up" plates on.  On the bottom,
tiles obviously can't be applied, and trying to put any plate on, it's studs
will get in the way of the angled walls of the nose.  So do them upside
down!  stick lightsabers on the underside of the plates layering the top and
on the underside you have a nice row of studs to attach plates upside-down to.

Ack-I don't have that type of blind scale loyalty.

It's a horrible disease. I don't recommend it. I don't know how contagious I
am, but I try to stay indoors just in case. :)

Which isn't a problem with all this Lego.  Urk, I can just see it, walking
in the room...mini-figs have their eyes squinted and are walking all over my
Star Wars models, dismantling them to be smaller.

"Josh...Dave came and gave us blind scale disease!"  The stormtrooper,
concealing his eyes with his helmet, tries to act casually moving away from
a pile of bricks that used to be a TIE fighter, but keeps bumping into
things.  The emporer seemingy tried to escape but from the shuttle in 50
pieces on the floor I get the idea the pilot was blinded mid-flight and
began pulling out the computer tiles.  Threepio, unaffected, keeps wailing
about how it wasn't his fault, and looking over I see...

The MILLENIUM FALCON?!  I'll get you for this Dave, I'll get youuu!!

I didn't like the UCS X-Wing because
it didn't work with mini-figs and it didn't look nice.

Agreed. I'm so very tempted to try my hand at making a UCS scale one with
the oh-so-nearly-perfect cockpit canopy they used, but I dunno if that'll
ever happen. I was quite dissapointed in the color scheme and the
wing-opening-mechanism, but otherwise it was ok. WONDERFUL source of parts.
I've been thinking about getting another one just for more grey barrels :)
[not to mention the swath of other cool parts]

Even with warning and being extremely careful, I screwed up the wings.  This
is coming from somebody who built a technic space shuttle in 9 hours when he
was 12!  If the whole thing was gray, or didn't look messed up at least, I
probably would have liked it, but there were too many little things that I
didn't like.  Artoo, the cockpit canopy (it opened poorly and didn't stick
down-artoo was part of this) you couldn't woosh it around because of the
wings, color, PRICE...I had gotten an open one (extremely common of course)
for $130 and actually returned it.  The pieces had me salivating but I
really didn't like it and a 16 year old can do better with $130.  If I
really wanted pieces so bad I could buy a bunch of snowspeeders which have
them in the color I need, gray, and a hoth troop in each is welcome too.

And I just realized...in the pics, the lower right X-Wing engine is
displaced.  This is what happens when you try to repair a T-65 with a camera
in your hand, folks.

--Josh

DaveE