 Star Wars / 10492
Re: Who else wants an AT-AT?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:30:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Jason Fabisch writes:
Here's a thought, maybe there are several different sizes of AT-AT based on
purpose.  A larger 80ft one that contains vehicles and a smaller 50ft
version that is a people transport.  Just a thought.  I know the books say
otherwise, but maybe the books were published by Rebels who captured
inferior data from the Empire.

It's certainly been suggested that there are multiple varieties-- I've heard
the following things about what various AT-AT designs carry for transport:
- 40 troops & 5 speeder bikes
- can be outfitted to carry "more" speeder bikes
- can store 2 AT-ST's

And there's also the dispute about how troops debark-- the only real two
theories being:
- descent ropes dropped while AT-AT is stopped
- ramps that lower when AT-AT 'kneels'

What's 'true'? The world may never know :)

DaveE

    Is anyone else a member of the Star Wars Fan club?  I've written a
question to Steve Sansweet about the scales used (actual scales of models)
and represented (how big they are supposed to be).  "If" I get an answer
maybe we could get closer to a working solution.

    After reading most of this conversation and checking on the film, in
addition to my reference material, I can clearly see conflicts.  I know for
a fact that the first shots of the walkers from afar, the models were only
about three or so inches.  I've seen photos of the models used for close-up
shots, and they are slightly bigger than the Kenner/Hasbro toys.  The model
I've come up with is slightly smaller than the toy. My model is 26 studs
wide, 61 deep and 131 high. The height is equivalent to 60'.  I'd have to
agree with David Eaton and say 65-70' is appropriate. But now some people
are talking about this "minifig" scale.  I currently don't understand this
scale. I want things to be BIG!!!

Joe