 Star Wars / 10483
Re: Who else wants an AT-AT?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:46:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
Looking at #1, The smallest result I can get, assuming Luke is about 6 feet
tall (no, I don't know how tall he actually is) is that the AT-AT's 70 feet
tall. That's assuming he's as crunched as possible when ascending and being
a little generous on looking at the image. Assuming his arms are stretched
upwards (taking away from his height in the photo) I get that the AT-AT is
upwards of 100 feet tall. Suffice to say, it's very hard to tell.

A more refined guess: 80' - 96'

On to #2. I don't have an image of the snowspeeder being crushed on hand,
but if memory serves, the foot just about covers it (toes included)... I
could be off base here. I also don't have a snowspeeder length on hand. As
another off-handed guess, I think they're between 12 and 20 feet long. Now,
an AT-AT foot (going by the blueprints in the Essential Guide to Vehicles),
is just under 1/4th the height of the AT-AT. So that translates to between
48 and 80 feet tall (a little over in each case).

I checked snowspeeder length a bit more closely. They're about 16 feet long,
+/- a foot. So revamp that guess to 60' - 68' (a little over in each case).

As for #3, we've got to look at both blueprints of the head's height and at
the general amount of space shown in the cockpit. As seen, there's plenty of
room to stand up in there, and some overhead space for the 'periscope' the
commander uses. Again, assuming the commander's height at 6 feet, and
checking against the blueprints, I get reasonable values between 60 and 93 >feet.

I still agree with this 60' - 93' measurement, but I also checked based on
viewscreen size as seen in the movie (comparing to actors in shot) and as
compared to the blueprint in the Essential Guide, and got: 75' - 102'

So, we've got:
80' - 96'
60' - 68'
60' - 93'
75' - 102'

Which yeilds an average of 79 feet tall.

And as a distribution (I may have a typo):

60      68    75    80          93  96   102
*********

That also weighs the cockpit scene twice (75'-102' and 60'-93'), but you get
the idea... basically, I figure 75 is right around where it 'should' be, and
50 feet is just too small...

DaveE