 Star Wars / 10331
Re: 7106, 7126, 7166
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:29:15 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
considering the price, and the fact that Lego Designers obviously aren't as
talented as some of the AFOLs out there (No offense LEGO, but you have to
admit they're damn good!)

I don't know if it's a question of talent or not.  Judging from some of
the stuff I've seen, it might well be a question of the limitations they
have to work under.  I suspect AFOLs often have it easy in comparison,
because they don't have to consider piece count or manufacturing costs or
anything for their models.

It's not a question of talent.
These are all designs by LEGO designers (I'd have found more, but the new
search is still down)

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~carbon60/files/starwars2.jpg
http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/adv/pg2.html
http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/adv/pg4.html

And, of course, all the amazing models at the LEGO theme parks.

So yeah, I think Jeff's probably right that the sets they release are
limited by piece count, manufacturing costs, etc. Because if they were
allowed to release whatever they designed, the above would be the sets we'd
be getting (the UCS line closes the gap a little between moc's and sets,
though). (Yes, some AFOL designs are really good, but comparing moc's to
released sets isn't really fair; comparing moc's to the LEGO designers moc's
is probably a little more fair.

In other words, don't look at the released set as the best they could
design; even with a constrained number of pieces they could do better, but
essentially, LEGO won't let them (they could have released a dead accurate
AT-ST for $20 instead of $10, but it's likely LEGO basically said they had
to do it at $10. But yes, I'll agree I've seen moc's that don't look like
they use too many pieces that look significantly better than the released
sets (but how much more would a set identical to those moc's cost?)

Mark W

The only changes I would have made to an official model, from TLC for the
AT-ST would have been to swap the black 6x4 stud double slope piece that
connects the head with the legs to a black 4x4 swivel platform like in 4811
(done moc), and include a AT-ST driver figure, and if they could bump the
price to no more than $12.99 an Ewok with a bow and quiver and a tree-stump
like from Wild West sets.
Then it would be perfect enough for me, as I was real happy with the set
when I put it together.
2 cents,
Aaron