 Space / 9884
Re: Star Trek: Enterprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:40:36 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article GGFCIK.C25@lugnet.com, Lorbaat wrote:

I don't know if that's what you might have meant by "at the beginning of the
Federation" but I thought I'd throw in a little more detail.

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. :^)

Apparently, when the show begins, Starfleet Exists, but the UFP does not.

Then I think that already mucks with the first technical manual put out back
in the 70's. Yet I realize that printed matter is not necessarily canon, as
per a Roddenberry quote[1]. At one time I would have considered that manual
the show's bible, but as new people take over the show, it becomes more
doubtful. Shoot, varying publications can't even agree what year Enterprise
was launched![2]

In the old manual the UFP charter provides for, among other things, a
starfleet, of which there were originally 13 heavy cruiser Constitution
Class I starships, not to mention similar numbers of ships each in Scout,
Destroyer, and Tug/Transport classes. IIRC, the charter's tone suggests that
the starfleet is created by the charter, not merely incorporating something
existing. I'll hafta check, or somebody else can, because in addition to
building ships, it could also be "authorizing" the fleet, in which case it
could already have been more or less in existance and replacing old ships.

One thing that makes the show rather exciting IMO is if/how the Vulcans play
a role in helping humanity actually make it in substantial numbers out into
space. It should make some interesting stories visiting the Vulcan, Proxima
Centauri, Eridani and Epsilon Indii systems for the first few times.

And BTW, what the heck is a Klingon anyway?

-Tom McD.
when replying, 0.04% of all Sol system asteroids contain 3 parts per 10^9
spamcake compounds.

[1] Though not verbatim, the Roddenberry quote basically said, Whatever
happens in a ST TV show or a ST movie is what actually happened.
[2] I realize that there now may be a "definitive answer".. I was just
referring to older official publications that didn't agree.