 Space / 8397
Re: Yet more piratical space paraphenalia...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.gaming, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:32:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:
In lugnet.space, Richard Parsons writes:
There are more shots of the shuttles at
http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/esp/esp-4.htm

How many troops can you cram in each APC?

Six fully armed troopers, plus three Black Guards, plus some equipment.  I
could probably sling in a bit more, but fully trained troopers are a bit
hard to come by (as are matching minifigs :-).

Having acquired a couple Imperial shuttles, I was working on a similar APC
design (except mine is ultimately a rip-off of the APC in a cancelled sci-fi
series called SPACE: Above and beyond...don't know if you have seen it in Oz)

Yup, seen it.  Didn't mind it actually - had some cute ideas.

Your APCs remind a little of the ones in Starship Troopers...

Cool.  I remember seeing the ones in ST and thinking, hey, they'd be a
doddle to do, and I guess they were the inspiration.  But I couldn't bring
myself to watch the movie again to check it out.

and some of the new heavier attack craft at
http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/esp/esp-5.htm

I like the detail on these models...black w/ intimidating lines, angles, and
accessories.  I have always been a fan of 2+ man vehicles for my forces...I
like your side by side design.

Must nod head to James Howse (Oztralian afol and gamemaster extraordinaire)
who put me onto the design, having built some attack craft based on
Warhammer designs (I think - not my field really).  You can just make them
out in this poor photograph of mine from one of our recent fests:

  http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/stud/101-07-n.jpg

in the far right, in front of Thunderbird One.  I'd never really figured on
side by side until I saw these, and since as an adventurers fiend I have a
surplus of 5 wide car cabins....

I am still not a fan of the trimegabrikium. However, I admire the carrier
you built and the tremendous MOC possibilities that can be realized from a
large supply of INEXPENSIVE bricks...(having seen 700 piece mega bloc sets
for $20 while the same in Lego is $100, excepting the tubs)

Make no mistake, MB is not as good as good as Lego, but exactly how
perfectly finished does one expect a starship hull to be?  If you're
building a shiny chrome Naboo Queen's Royal Starship, fair enough, but if
you're building freighters and warships...... ;-)

I have just recently seen the line at a local retailer... I am intrigued by
the Bomb Squad and ATV w/ sub sets... I'll pick one up sooner or later.

The Bomb Squad in particular is a winner.  I looked carefully at the
ATV/sub, but it just didn't have the same glorious collection of bits - the
sub dome looked interesting though.  Next time I see the Bomb Squad, I
imagine I'll grab it.

Richard
Still baldly going...