 Space / 7916
Re: Hyperion is complete
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:40:19 GMT

   Wow!  Two great big ships in one weekend!

In lugnet.space, Jason E. Baker writes:
It's I.E. 5 only (sorry non i.e. browsers (1)).  This is my first try at
(homemade) dynamic html and javascript. (Watch the back button)

   I should ask you at some point about your experiences--I'm in
   the process of trying to write dynamic HTML and use java applets
   to get a decent webpage up and running.  Now that I can use MLcad
   and POVray, I want to become a terror!  A terror I tell you!
   (I mean, more of a terror.)

Please take the tour.  There's at least 28 sections to go through (7 levels
x 4 sections) and many branches off each.  It's easy to get lost (i wish i
could've done better) but there's always a way out of each room. And have
faith that the elevator is there (even though it's not in the picture).

   I'm not sure what could have happened to it, unless you built
   the ship in the shape of a hypercube!  ;)  I'm amazed at how
   well structured the exploration system is--it was looking good
   in "beta" form some time ago, but I wasn't expecting this much
   of an upgrade--kudos, bigtime.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jbaker4

I think i tried to overcompensate with the web site, for the lack of of an
interesting shape.  I wanted to go for more of a sleeker look but i think
the small exterior details look "bolted" on.

   Hyperion is in one of my favourite shapes, the vertical ovoid.
   It almost brings to mind a sunfish, which makes me wonder if
   enormous, but thin, dorsal and ventral "fins" might not look really
   cool at some point, to help balance the immensely detailed main
   body of the ship.  And those windows!  Egad, I'd be very self-
   conscious about changing clothes in there.  ;)  But they really
   do lighten the look and feel of the hull and make it one of the
   most remarkable big ship MOCs I've seen, and I've been around a
   good long while.  (Cue the theme of the "Crimson Permanent
   Assurance...")  It must have some pretty good lighting on the
   interior, just from those windows.

   That picture on the first page is really, really cool.  The
   pixellation of the hull slope really improves the feel--ships
   that size can use pixellation to their advantage, and I think
   this one is an especially good case.  And the second page into
   the "wandering tour"--is that a fire extinguisher on the left?
   :)  It's nice to see that your ship is OSHA compliant.  But do
   you have an eye-wash on the hangar deck? ;)  I got stuck on
   trying to get into level two, though--is there a trick to
   using the elevator or stairs?

I had built pages for the exterior pics, the gallery and construction pics
but ran out of room on my isp.  Basically the tour pics take up almost all
my isp's space so the rest of the pics are on brickshelf.  The pics on
brickshelf are rather small as they were intended to fit in a frame.

   Ack.  Well, it's time to upgrade!  :)  (Can you tell I'm
   impatient and demanding?)

(1) I wanted to get it working on all browsers (my usual goal), but i'm
pooped and barely got this completed as is.  So i apologize.

   No apologies necessary--great job!

   best

   Lindsay