 Space / 4494
Re: Space Denominations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 02:46:02 GMT

Greg Majewski wrote in message ...

Blacktron II: Young stupid rebels who broke away from the original
Blacktron. They are hippies who aren't really evil, but they have caused
riots at abortion clinics and meat processing plants.

Well, if you think that the BT2 sets generally sucked (like I don't) then I
could see how one would draw that conclusion. Personally I actually prefer
their "globular cockpit" design motif over anything that BT1 sets have to
offer. Obviously their torsos and colour scheme aren't anywhere near as cool
as BT1, but I think that their spaceships look fairly competent, like they
"mean business" as much as any bad guys would.

Ice Planet: Weirdos who think they can isolate themselves from normal
society by going to a nasty planet. They want to try to make a better
civilization.

I always picture these guys as being native to their ice planet, i.e.
they're not strictly human but very humanoid. It also means that one could
take the "2002" as meaning literally 2002 A.D. i.e. their civilisation is
advancing alongside ours in the very near future.

Exploriens: X-Files wannabes that aren't aware that they aren't really
accomplishing anything. Should be left alone.

I picture the Exploriens as a corporation whose primary business is
obviously exploration. Classic space may have some amateur/small-time
explorers, but the Exploriens are the big corporation that puts the really
big push into the unknown. Some of the sets are O.K. too ;-)

Robo Force: Stupid crap that should be left alone.

Especially because outside the U.S. they're not part of anyone's experience
with the Space theme (before LUGNET I never even knew about them!). For me,
the sets have effectively never existed, so how could I imagine that they
fit in anywhere?

UFO: Stupider crap that should be left alone.
Insectoids: The stupidest crap of all Space, should definitely be left • alone.

Gee, do I detect a pattern here? Just because some subthemes had sets that
sucked, doesn't mean we should overlook them. Personally I really like the
UFO 'figs. I'd prefer to just build my own decent UFO-style ships, and
accept the UFO race as some sort of alien race whose role in Space overall
is flexible, a sort of "unpredictable element", if you will. Sometimes they
can be friendly, at other times hostile... who can fathom such alien minds.
And as for the Insectoids, hmm... strange how the poor quality of the sets
has put people off from experimenting with the Insectoid concept. You know,
giant insects controlled by aliens. I'd rather like to see some MOCs like
that... might even try one myself.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164