 Space / 38787
Re: Lambrecht-Lowell Stellar Cartography Podule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 17:17:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Daniel Rubin wrote:
   Very nice. It looks pretty cool, and seems like it’d look even cooler in a moonbase module, especially clustered together.

Why limit connections to just the 4 horizontal directions? I see a 3 dimensional array of spheres as potentially very cool. Heck, if you started doing non-orthoganal connections, simple molecules could be modeled on the moonbase with these things!

It was four directions so that however you put it together, it would make something compliant with the overall module standard.

In the UK we’re still using the ‘Classic Moonbase’ ;) standard, i.e. we haven’t jacked ours up the extra bricks, and still just have the basic plane of connections. Vertical extensions are a cool idea. You may have to skip floors because of the size of the sphere though.

I think if you did multiple floors, that would be down to you personally. There’s no standard for stacking other people’s modules on top of yours, so I don’t think there needs to be one for podules.

   Also, why does your standard allow the connection to be a plate below the standard connection? Why not just require a standard connection?

OK, maybe it’s not clear. It does require a standard connection. The point is the corridor itself shouldn’t have anything hanging down from it or require any sort of support. This is to provide clearance underneath for spacetrains turning a corner in the area below.

I allow for 1 plate of underhang because that’s what I found I needed to SNOT mount those natty hexagonal corridors. If it took more than that, the standard would probably have said ‘two plates’ and the minifigs would just have to duck! ;-)

Even with the lower moonbase standard, you can still build low-riding trains for minifigs to sit on and pass under airlocks with a few plates to spare.

Jason R

Another point on putting space train track on the edge of modules - it becomes vitally important that you follow a strict six-wide rule on your trains. i.e. not even half a plate of overhang is allowed for ladders or handles. The trains must be able to squeeze through a six-wide gap. That will let them pass safely around a layout where there may be solid walls right up against the track.

It’s preferable to do short two-axle trucks too. Longer bogey trucks may be awkward. That’s a bit limiting though, so you’d probably just have to be careful which modules you lay the track around.

Jason R