 Space / 38775
38774  |  38776
Subject:
Lambrecht-Lowell Stellar Cartography Podule
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 20:35:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is my contribution to Moonbase modules - the Podule. In particular, a spherical stellar cartography planetarium podule.

Spherical Podule End Unit

The idea is a simple one - a 16x16 mini-module with attachable corridors. It can be reconfigured to give any configuration of Moonbase module; an end, a corner or a straight-through. With extra corridors it can be a T-junction or a crossroads.

Corner Unit Straight Unit

This one is built using Bram Lembracht’s sphere generating script. I turned jumpers off, which allowed me to make a completely round base and top.

Podule Base Podule Roof

I also adjusted the plate centre to 0.5 rather than 0.75 for the base, to adjust the curvature for being studs-inwards. That’s why it has a slightly different profile compared to the top.

Then I needed two square sides, and two with overlaps.

Square Face Overlapping Face

These also have another feature - the upper surface comes off to make a mating face for the corridor.

Aperture Cap Square Aperture Overlapping Aperture

Put together, you get an enclosed sphere, or any number of connecting faces:

Spherical Podule Open Podule

These corridors are 16-studs long, and have standard moonbase airlocks on the end.

Podule Corridors

The purpose of the ‘Podule’ is to allow people to make smaller, more transportable, additions to moonbase collaborations. They can be reconfigured on-site to fill in the gaps in a Moonbase complex.

There are other advantages too - I think it’s better if using ordinary train track to run it along the edge of modules, through the two 4-stud gaps under the airlocks. For example, a cross-piece would sit on the corner of four modules. The free-hanging corridors of Podules allow trains to turn corners below.

Podules, Modules and Space Trains

My basic rules for Podules are as follows, though open to suggestion:

1. The basic podule sits on a 16x16 area.
2. Each of its four faces does not need an airlock, but should be able to attach to one.
3. Each face should not extend more than one stud outside the 16x16 area, and must not foul an adjacent standard airlock.
4. Each podule should have at least two corridors and two end-caps. Corridors must be to the standard below, though end-caps can be custom for the podule.
5. A podule may have one permanently covered face, and may have one permanently fixed corridor (though these must not be on opposite sides, as then it cannot be used as a straight module).
6. Corridors must be 16 studs long with a standard airlock on each end.
7. Corridors should not have supports, nor extend more than 1 plate below the level of a standard airlock.

The standard for corridors is so that they can be interchanged with other podules.

Let me know what you think.

Gallery here.

Jason Railton