 Space / 38063
Re: O.S.S. Pastier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:58:21 GMT

In lugnet.space, Nick Kappatos wrote:>
Here's what I didn't like:

- The photography: your lighting hurt my eyes, and I had to stop looking before
I could take it all in.

Nick, thanks for the comments; I appreciate them!  Yeah, the photography hurts,
no doubting that.  I was so focused on getting things actually in focus that I
didn't realize how bad the lighting was.  I am trying to find a better way to
get pictures done.

- 25-fig crew?  If I was in that type of space with that many people for an
extended time, I would cut someone.  Throw a handful into the airlock and hit
"eject" as you continue the storyline.

-nick

This is something I debated for a great while.  The backstory is that the entire
population was jammed on ships for years and had become used to such crowding.
That was reason A.  But reason B was that when I started doing the logistics of
a ship that had everything in it that the Pastier did I started realizing
something:

3 working shifts a day means with a crew of 25 only 8 people are actually on
duty at a time.  8 are asleep and 8 are loungin' around.  Of those 8 that are on
duty:

3 are needed on the bridge at any given time.
2 are needed in engineering
1 in the shuttlebay / repair shop
1 in astrometrics
1 in the med bay
1 in the science lab...which totals 9.

But I also figured that this ship was TIGHT so it was a bit of a compromise.
I've always had a little difficulty believing in spaceships that had such a
small crew and were so big as realistically only a 1/3 of the population can be
on duty (Star Trek DS9 on the Defiant and Voyager drove me nuts in this regard).
So its a bit of a compromise but at least with my backstory I have a little bit
of a reason for packing them in.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Jeff