 Space / 37998
Re: O.S.S. Pastier
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 01:08:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Pelletier wrote:
This is one of the surviving members of the space fleet which escaped the
original planet of Omicron; the O.S.S. Pastier.

All the pictures (sans comments until I reorganize the MOCpage) can be
found at the brickshelf site:

The overall shape has some good possibilities, but...

The nose itself doesn't work for me.  It doesn't seem to match the rest of the
ship.  It seems like it needs to be longer and have a higher center of gravity.
Actually, now that I look at it again, here's my take on the overall shape:

You did a great job with the center, but the shape got lost as you added stuff.
Again, the body is great!  But the nose, tail, and engine pods are all weak
designs.

I *really* like how the rear transitions from the wide body to the narrower
rear, but it narrows a bit too much.  And when it flares out again it does it in
a really bad way.  I think it would look great if you took that octagonal
cross-section bit and moved it forward so that it was projecting rearward out of
the the area between the lower and upper windows in this shot:
...then you could attach the center thruster to that.

The engine pod design has some neat stuff going on with the 4 splines near the
back end, but I'm not digging the radar dish on the end.  And it has too much
length projecting boringly forward.  Break that up a bit!  The wheel in the
middle isn't getting me all hot either.

Stanchions turned sideways like that look *way* too weak to hold something that
is supposed to stay permanently attached at all, let alone propel the ship.  The
window at the base there, between the attachments, is pretty cool- but you gotta
widen the attachment points front to back.

While the support ships aren't terribly interesting in themselves, the way that
they fit into the ship is beautiful.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com