 Space / 33692
Re: Large Intrepid-class Space MOC - Never seen as big a ship posted yet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 02:35:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tim Courtney wrote:
SNIP

The external 'stats' are:  over 7 ft long, over 2 ft high, and over 3 ft across.
Weight of the craft estimated at about 200 pounds.  About 130 minifigs as crew.

The link is here:

Wow. One question - how did you build the internal structure to keep the ship
together - especially on the saucer section which cantilevers out pretty far?

-Tim

Hi Tim, what I did was structure the inner wall rooms to generally overlap
supporting plates and bricks where the floor/celing plates met.  For example,
main inner corridors were either 8 studs across or 14 studs, depending if I had
4x10 or 6x16 plates in use.  I would use 2x4 and 2x2 45 degree slopes to "join
the plates and build up the walls of the corridors and rooms, and then, if the
plates were external hull plates, I would reinforce the joins on the outside by
running 2x8, 2x6, etc plates along the bottom seams of the plates.  They are
very sturdily kept in place.  The walls and the plates (both floor and ceiling)
really are able to support their weight very well.  As I scan in the interior
shots you will see how I do the overlapping more clearly than me trying to take
a stab at explaining it.

Thanks,

Lee