 Space / 33775
Re: Large Intrepid-class Space MOC - Never seen as big a ship posted yet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bill Pfund wrote:
Where do you get all of that lego?  Where/How do most of you guys get that much
lego?  I am new to the Lugnet seen, If my questions seem funny to you guys.  I
have started to hit rummage sales to build my collection

Just to add a bit to what Paul has already said.

For "plain bricks" you can't beat Lego Buckets.  We bought one not too long ago
that even has colors like green, brown, and tan (in addition to the traditional
colors like black, white, blue, red, and yellow).  These are great if you want
to start building "bigger", but don't necessarily need anymore "special pieces".

Clearance items are great.  It's especially nice to find a Bucket on clearance.
Your price per piece gets really low then.  I find the best time to look for
clearance is in late winter and early spring (i.e. after Christmas clearance).

Target is my favorite store for clearance.  One year, my wife and I found lots
of Train sets on after Christmas clearance at Target for unbelievably low prices
(75% off).  We bought all we could.  Another year they had buckets for 75% off.
I think we bought a dozen of the 950 piece buckets for less than $5 per bucket,
which works out to about 1/2 a cent per piece.  $60 for 11,400 pieces was an
awesome deal.

Another place to look are resale shops like Goodwill and Salvation Army (also
after Christmas).  I found a brand new RIS for $50 at one and one of the Technic
Super Cars for about the same price.  Most of the bags inside were still intact.
My guess is that some kid that was too young for the sets got them for Christmas
and had opened them up, so they "couldn't be returned to the store".  Either
that or a store donated them because they were returned and "damaged".  I've
also found mostly complete Train sets this way (great for parts).

The best shop like that around here is a small Goodwill located in a "good" part
of town.  For some reason, they seem to get the best of the toys.

Jeff