 Space / 32541
Re: Short Haul Space Freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:39:51 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Baulch wrote:

   Wow. Your modelling here is really top-notch. Wonderful attention to detail, like the way you put the windows on their sides to make them less tall, and the way you lined the passage walls with stuff. I love it!

Thanks. I’m kinda dissapointed that I could get a better shot of the corridors, but that would have meant a certain amount of dismantling - something I didn’t relish doing.

   It’s definitely not boxy in the infamous sense, i.e. straight walls on the sides connecting directly to straight plates on top. The engreebled crevice motif from the Bison works even better here IMO, with the overhanging outer “painted” hull to emphasise the “innards” look.

This model was in part inspired by recent mumbling about boxiness here in .space. It’s my attempt to show that boxy can me good too, if it’s done with care. I’m glad you noticed.

   I have two minor gripes, though - firstly, the landing gear is way too small and thin. I think that even the Bison’s fixed stubby 2-wide stanchion legs work better than these (although a short retracting Technic solution would be ideal).

I can’t argue with you there. The current legs were a sort of ad-hoc solution that I’m not entirely happy with. I did want to have something a bit stockier, but couldn’t get it to retract satisfactorily, so these ones went back on. I could try to make them better, but frankly, I’m too lazy to try and am ready to move on to the next nodel.

   Secondly, the engines seem a bit small and under-modelled compared to the rest of the craft. Beefier engines would be nice (preferably avoiding space wheels?).

Yep. That was the other .space no-no that I delibreatley added, just because I knew it’d get up your nose ;) Besides, I think they fit in with the Nothing Too Fancy style of the rest of the ship.

Cheers,

Allister