 Space / 32329
  That old set FEELING...

Yesterday I opened a MISB 6929 Starfleet Voyager and build it. The build took surprisingly long time, but it was worth every minute of it. There was a FEELING building this classic, seeing it grow in front of your eyes, that I just don't get (...) (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) I remember saving up to buy one of these many years ago. It's a lovely set and an under-used colour scheme at the time. I've put mine together again, although the gold symbols have faded. I think of it now more as a UN-like relief transport, (...) (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Stop it—you're going to make me cry. Yeah, I've noticed the lack of real 'personality' in the new sets. Even with the designer sets, which are really nice part packs and examples of what LEGO can do. But they still lack. . . something. (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Absolutely. Aside from being an original design, the old classic space sets revolve around one central concept: playability. The basic brick construction affords great material for building other creations to be sure, but even the official (...) (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) I know exactly how you feel. There is nice MISB 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport looking at me from the shelf above my computer. I have had this set in a box for about 4 years now and it is getting harder and harder not to open it. The feeling you (...) (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) ... (...) It's called nostalgia. I was surprised a few years ago to find that I don't suffer from it. I've probably told this story one too many times, but anyway... Like most Space Lego fans, I lusted after the 928/497 Galaxy Explorer. For (...) (20 years ago, 27-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Minifigs? That was always what made me less interested in universal sets like (URL) 744> when I was a kid. Universal building sets have always seemed to have less 'personality' to me. After searching the database for 744, I looked at a great (...) (20 years ago, 27-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) I don't blame ya. I don't own the Galaxy Explorer, but I've played with a couple of them. It is a nice model, but to me it isn't special. I think that's because it wasn't a set I grew up with though, if it was, the story would be different. (...) (20 years ago, 27-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Same here, I have not a huge deal of interest in the Galaxy Explorer (although I do own one of each of the 3 LLxxx printed bricks that I picked up from a seller). My big interest is in getting a 6983 Ice Station Odyssey so I can be Ice Planet (...) (20 years ago, 28-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

<snip> (...) Tim, you better stop making me feel old. Sometimes I think it's these ABS bricks that make me feel younger than I really am... (granted, I'm not as old as some of the folks (Like Larry), but I'm up there with most of em, I'm sure... (in (...) (20 years ago, 28-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) ... (...) Save a spot for me up there dude. I like the old sets, but appreciate them more for their place in history than as models in themselves. I had the 924 as a kid, and could build it from memory. When I came out of my dark age 18 months (...) (20 years ago, 28-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) True...nostalgia is a powerful factor in the reverence the old CS sets enjoy here, but for me anyway it's the concept of playablility that comes through in the design and basic construction of the sets that tweaks me more so than the actual (...) (20 years ago, 29-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Don't forget your boy-ish good looks. ;o) -Lenny (20 years ago, 29-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Nah, I wouldn't flame you for that. It's easy to see the classic space through rose-colored glasses and I congratulate you at taking an honest, critical look at the sets. I remember when classic space came out. I really didn't know what to (...) (20 years ago, 29-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Uh, actually I've just realised that I was mistaken as to the definition of the word dinky. I didn't realise it meant small or insignificant. What I meant was it looked like an old-fashioned toy, like a Dinky(TM) Toy. (2 URLs) Cheers, (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 30-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) That contest was a ton of fun. One thing that one had that I haven't seen in any other contest here was that we were encouraged to make entries look like official sets. Add a support vehicle, the appropriate number of figs and accessories, and (...) (20 years ago, 30-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Same feeling here usually. When I started collection in 1998 again, after my dark ages, I started with collecting Town sets. I remember obtaining some early 1980's town sets such as the post office, 6382 fire station and such. All sets I never (...) (20 years ago, 31-Mar-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

In lugnet.space, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote: SNIP excellent observations (...) Look at THIS: (URL) i just saw this, so it's new to me, so the feeling can't just be nostalgia; It's got to go with great form & fun & fun form & forming fun (whew!) in a (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)

  Re: That old set FEELING...

(...) Snip (...) Hey Paul, Thanks for posting this picture. When I first saw it I was amused by the 'armoured" car having the occupants so exposed. Later, I noticed that the box proclaims(1) that it was designed by Gerry Anderson and that he was (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, FTX)