 Space / 26388
Re: Futuron II - a complete theme!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:28:03 GMT

This is a great collection of sets on several levels.  I love that you've
got a nice mix of small and large, and land and air and base.  The style
looks modern but still suggests the older Futuron theme.  In terms of it
actually being a lego theme, I think you've done very well.

Thanks!  That was exactly was I was trying to do!

The larger base I think is a little too big and a little too closed (most
official Lego bases have a more open feel - you wouldn't usually have to
fold open the roof to get at things) and the tower base I think is a • little
lacking in functionality.  They both look great and as MOC's, they're • pretty
cool, but as part of an official Lego space theme, I think they wouldn't
quite fit.  I think that's a big thing about trying to design something to
be an "official" Lego set - it has to have some obvious
functionality/gimmic.  The garage door with the little vehicle, that's
great.  But the tower needs something like that too.  Right now it's just • a
tower.  A cool looking tower, yes, but still just a tower.  The use of • bots
is dead on too.  They definitely add to the play value.

I knew I was going totally overboard on the Base, but I just couldn't help
it!  I know what you mean about the open feel, but most of TLG's Space bases
are just too airy for me, and I wanted to have a building with four walls!
:-D  The whole thing does open up much like a doll house so you still get to
every part of the interior, and I think that this unfolding aspect adds to
the play value instead of detracting from it.

All three of your smallest vehicles are great.  The Hopper is perfect and
probably my favorite of everything here.  Simple, cool looking, and
functional (though I gues "functional" in something this small basically
means it has engines.  ;)

Yeah, me too.  I can see myself repeating this design for many years to
come.  I was really pleased that I'd finally found a use for those funky
Futuron nose pieces.

The little ATV with the trailer is totally
something I could see Lego doing in an actual set (but points to you for
coming up with it!).  The pod is kind of cheating 'cause that bt2 style
cabin already looks cool, but you did a good job of adding a drive section
to it that looks like it belongs there.

I purposely emulated a familiar design since TLG often replicates certain
designs across many of their themes, and the BII bubble cockpit has always
been one of my favorites.

I have to agree with Sandlin on the Protector - too many guns.  I'd lose • all
but the outer ones on the wings.  8 cannons would still be enough, • wouldn't
it?  ;)

I was purposely going for the "bristling" look, but if it's not to your
tastes, that's cool.  I figured since it's their only defense ship, it
better be a bad mother . . SHUT YO MOUTH!      :-)

The Conveyor is another great piece of
work with a functional gimic.  It doesn't just look good, it does • something
fun too.

Thanks!  I was really jazzed when I came up with the magnetic coupling.  A
little echo of Mtron there!

Color scheme is ok, but I think red and white is just a little too
contrasty.  On the other hand, if I were going to undertake such a large
project, I probably would have made white my primary color too, being that • I
have about twice as much white as any other color (besides maybe black, • but
black is bad for picture taking).

Yeah, black is good for accents, but a nightmare when it comes to picture
taking.  I like the contrast of red and white.  I wanted something primary
to echo the limited color scheme of early Space sets.  The dark red comes
off much more like regular red in the photos, I think due to all the white.

Anyway, awesome work!  Now to go look at your Lobster...  (I take a two • day
trip and .space explodes while I'm gone--so much to catch up on!)

-- Tom