 Space / 26371
Re: Futuron II - a complete theme!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:00:31 GMT

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:HID7Hq.6su@lugnet.com...
Hey all,

After dawdling for weeks, I finally got cracking this weekend and took
pictures of one of my latest projects.  Futuron II is a complete theme, • from
the smallest miniship to the biggest base.  It's my way of showing what • I'd
like to see when TLG (hopefully) returns to making their own Space themes
again.  Check it out and please LMKWYT!

http://www.xenobuzz.com/MyLegoCreations/Futuron%20II.htm

This is a great collection of sets on several levels.  I love that you've
got a nice mix of small and large, and land and air and base.  The style
looks modern but still suggests the older Futuron theme.  In terms of it
actually being a lego theme, I think you've done very well.

The larger base I think is a little too big and a little too closed (most
official Lego bases have a more open feel - you wouldn't usually have to
fold open the roof to get at things) and the tower base I think is a little
lacking in functionality.  They both look great and as MOC's, they're pretty
cool, but as part of an official Lego space theme, I think they wouldn't
quite fit.  I think that's a big thing about trying to design something to
be an "official" Lego set - it has to have some obvious
functionality/gimmic.  The garage door with the little vehicle, that's
great.  But the tower needs something like that too.  Right now it's just a
tower.  A cool looking tower, yes, but still just a tower.  The use of bots
is dead on too.  They definitely add to the play value.

All three of your smallest vehicles are great.  The Hopper is perfect and
probably my favorite of everything here.  Simple, cool looking, and
functional (though I gues "functional" in something this small basically
means it has engines.  ;)   The little ATV with the trailer is totally
something I could see Lego doing in an actual set (but points to you for
coming up with it!).  The pod is kind of cheating 'cause that bt2 style
cabin already looks cool, but you did a good job of adding a drive section
to it that looks like it belongs there.

I have to agree with Sandlin on the Protector - too many guns.  I'd lose all
but the outer ones on the wings.  8 cannons would still be enough, wouldn't
it?  ;)   I know that'd make most of my creations turn around (my most well
armed only has 4 guns of that size).  The Conveyor is another great piece of
work with a functional gimic.  It doesn't just look good, it does something
fun too.

Color scheme is ok, but I think red and white is just a little too
contrasty.  On the other hand, if I were going to undertake such a large
project, I probably would have made white my primary color too, being that I
have about twice as much white as any other color (besides maybe black, but
black is bad for picture taking).

Anyway, awesome work!  Now to go look at your Lobster...  (I take a two day
trip and .space explodes while I'm gone--so much to catch up on!)

-- Tom