 Space / 26382
Re: F-2 Bat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 04:53:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Aaron Sneary wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Anthony Sava wrote:

   So it seems to me, the far cheapest option would be to have individual air locks and small bays for the ships to attach to.

If we’re talking about small fighters, might it be cheaper to have your pilots wear evac suits in a non-pressurized landing bay? snip Dave!

If you will remember, the standard TIE fighter pilot had to wear and EVA suit during the entire flight. Most SW tech manuals that cover this small fighter point out that to make it cheap and fast, it has NO environmental systems what-so-ever.

You don your suit and helmet, float out to the fighter, climb in (or on) and shoot things!

Aaron Sneary

It may be cheaper to do EVAs and have individual access locks et al., but wouldn’t the safety of the pilots be put into more-than-acceptable risk everytime they go in or out? One could have a compromised suit, your lockingport could not exist anymore (same goes for a landing bay, granted), medical emergencies could negate the pilots ability to enter or egress the fighter/carrier. Plus, one wouldn’t want to do an EVA during a surprise attack. One would also have to look at the safety of the techs doing the work (torn suits, medical emergencies, etc).

One other aspect would be to consider the centrality of supplies and equipment and craft in a landing bay, compared to the dispursed nature of the set-up proposed. Round trips for supply and equipment carts would get longer and longer as one got further from the main supply cache. It wouldn’t be feasible, both in terms of resupply, cost, and space to have umpteen different supply caches, one for each fighter.

Which doesn’t mean that the fighter needs landing gear. TIEs were hung in racks. Have a magna-rack, or some such.

Mike