 Space / 26369
Re: F-2 Bat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:24:24 GMT

In lugnet.space, Anthony Sava wrote:
In lugnet.space, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.space, Anthony Sava wrote:

So it seems to me, the far {cheapest} option would be to have individual
air locks and small bays for the ships to attach to.

  If we're talking about small fighters, might it be cheaper to have your
pilots wear evac suits in a non-pressurized landing bay?  Entry to the bay
could be through a single airlock, and the individual ships could be moored
or clamped into place by whatever mechanism is favored.  Ships could even
be kept in a huge "file-drawer" storage locker and only rolled out for
flights.  They could even be put into a secondary launch bay, I guess.
  I suppose that this wouldn't be a good system for large-capacity
passenger or freight vessels, but it might solve part of the problem.

I love that idea. But Mark was talking about cost-effectiveness, and my
belief is that this way would be a tad bit more expensive to build and
maintain.

  Expensive?  Bah!  I build my ships out of solid gold with platinum wiring and
diamond-encrusted control surfaces.  Phooey on your bean counting!

    Dave!