 Space / 22471
Re: MOC: Gunstar from "The Last Starfighter"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:23:44 GMT

Hi Ted,

"Ted Michon" <ted@michon.com> wrote in message news:HCHwGL.q7M@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.space, David Simmons writes:
"Greetings Starfighter!  You have been recruited by the Star League to
defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan armada!"

Dave-

Great model, easily recognizable.

Thanks!  It was fun to build.

By coincidence, we played the DVD for the first time in years the same • night
you posted your announcement.

*cue Twilight Zone theme

True story: Atari actually built an arcade game that looked like and • played
like the one in the movie. I should know, I designed the hardware, Atari's
first 3D hardware system, and closely supported the software team at Atari
the implemented the game play. Unfortunately, the movie did not perform • well
enough for Atari to make the large payment that would have been required • to
release the game and they just "ate" the $1M invested to that point
instead.

That's a shame.  In the movie, I liked how in the game the ship takes off
and then the screen moves forward to place you in the seat.  So, who has the
prototype?  :-)

-Ted