 Space / 20238
20237  |  20239
Subject:
Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:43:50 GMT

Pardon the subject line....subjected to the the Amercian Music Awards the
other night :)

After catching up on some recently posted MOC's and marvelling at the
fantastic shapes, scales, sizes, colours and details of our little corner of
the Lego empire, I found myself amazed at the transformation the process of
design has gone through over the last 5 years in regards to space.

As much as most of us hold the fondest memories of Classic Space, the
majority of the craft and bases back then followed a pretty straightforward
aestetic.  Slopes and hinges could produce some interesting shapes, but the
mostly linear lines (the classic 'tube' ship) and SOT techniques made any
attempt for something different difficult and often, flimsy.  This may have
been my own lack of building skill, but it seemed by friends at the time
suffered from the same condition.  Maybe we just all sucked.

However, with the coming of the Star Wars line and more importantly, the
elements within it seems as if the change happened overnight.  I remember
first spotting Karim Nassir's Titianium Goose online years back.  I was
astounded by the evolution that had seeminly happened in an instant.  When I
bought the snowspeeder and discoverd the click-hinge, I literally yelled to
my fianace 'Honey!! Come take a look at this!  Where was this 15 years ago?!"

With this line, the discovery of new and exciting elements in each set
really brought me back to the fold.  Sure, I love Star Wars but it's really
the possibilty provided by the innovation in elements that hooked me.  To
this day, opening the set and emptying the bags is the best experience.
Examining the elements and seeing how they could solve outstanding problems
in other designs of mine is the experience to savour....building the
official model is usually way down the list.

So what exactly am I 'throwing out' to the crowd here?  Simply put:

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

2. Is it the availability of new elements that has made it so, or do you
think that a similar zeitgeist would have been possible, if perhaps not as
varied?

3. It is undeniable that LUGnet and other online communities have become one
of the driving forces behind the creativity - do you think that the growth
of these communities was accelerated by the new element availability?

I believe there are no right of wrong answers to these questions...just
wanted to try and take a look into the heart of our shared phenomenon.

.space forever!

Cheers,
-Gil