 Space / 20245
Re: Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:56:44 GMT

So what exactly am I 'throwing out' to the crowd here?  Simply put:

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

I would not call it a revolution as an evolution.  Instead of thinking just
"classic" space, people are now in the mentallity of "sci-fi".  The concept of
collecting a few moon rocks compared to galaxy conquest does not even compare.

2. Is it the availability of new elements that has made it so, or do you
think that a similar zeitgeist would have been possible, if perhaps not as
varied?

Not as much the parts, as raw input.  With the expansion of the web, and sites
such as lugnet and brickshelf, we can see others ideas, and use there
techniques in building there own models.  Not only that, but we see peoples
drawing of ships in the form of art work or video games.  This goes back to the
evolution theory.

3. It is undeniable that LUGnet and other online communities have become one
of the driving forces behind the creativity - do you think that the growth
of these communities was accelerated by the new element availability?

Very much so.  Think of it this way.  How much fun is it to build models and
tear them down, never to be seen again.  Then again, how much fun is it to
build a model, displaying it via digital pictures and putting a plot behind it?

Bottom Line?  The technological revolution delivering us the internet and
publishing tools (digital camera, scanner, etc) has brought about an evolution
in the construction and displaying of LEGO models.

Brad M.
Viffer Militech Inc.
http://members.cox.net/viffer