 Space / 20288
Re: Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:04:13 GMT

Boy there's been some interesting discussion here this week. I love delving
deeper into the subject as well as merely admiring MOCs.

Speaking as one who missed this revolution you speak, all I know is that
between putting down Lego in 1982 and picking it up again this year things
have changed somewhat to say the least.

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

Well, as others have said, it seems to me (going on old catalogues alone)
that it was more an evolutionary process. The revolution that the Star Wars
line brought about in Lego was themes with a predefined story attached to
them. I'm not entirely sure this is a good thing. I prefer more generic
minifigs.

2. Is it the availability of new elements that has made it so, or do you
think that a similar zeitgeist would have been possible, if perhaps not as
varied?

New elements surely help. But from what I can tell, the Star Wars line
brought a lot of adults back into the Lego fold. Adults and teenagers will
tend to build more sophisticated designs than children whatever the parts
are they're using.

To be honest official TLG models aren't all that inspiring to build as an
adult, but that's because they're aimed at children and I'm ok with that.
Nostalgia aside, even the beloved 924 is a fairly bland design. Frankly I'd
rather study and try to emulate a Jon Palmer, or a Paul Hartzog, or a Gil
Shaw, or a Mark Sandlin (to name a few) design over anything Lego produces
anyday of the week.

The thing I appreciate TLG for most of all is the utter, indescribable
beauty in the design of the parts themselves and the highly varied ways they
interconnect, and that's been there from the start. Am I drifting off topic?

3. It is undeniable that LUGnet and other online communities have become one
of the driving forces behind the creativity - do you think that the growth
of these communities was accelerated by the new element availability?

I really have no idea. However, don't underestimate the effect Ldraw has had
as well. It was Ldraw that brought me all the way out of my 'dark age'. The
ability to readily create (and share) official looking instructions of a
custom creation adds a whole new level of enjoyment to the hobby. Actually,
I never intended to play with real bricks thinking I'd be happy solely with
virtual ones. Just goes to show how wrong one can be :)

Actually the trinity of Lugnet, Ldraw and Brickshelf all support each other
beautifully. I couldn't imagine any of them being quite the same without
either of the other two.

I believe there are no right of wrong answers to these questions...just
wanted to try and take a look into the heart of our shared phenomenon.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread. Reading back I'm not even sure I
answered the questions, choosing instead to blather. o well...

Cheers,
Allister