 Space / 20267
Re: Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:00:41 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

Yes.... Nothing short of remarkable is how I would describe it.

I would like to opine that this revolution has been seen in other themes,
the state of the art has advanced in many of them. But I'm thinking that
space is where it's most obvious... (with trains, my favorite theme, a
somewhat distant second, I feel...  the emphasis there has been on
increasing fidelity/detail level, and on taking on increasingly difficult
modeling challenges as how to think non orthoganally has become easier for
people. Similarly, in Model Team and Technic the sorts of mechanisms that
have been attempted have gotten much broader and harder)

2. Is it the availability of new elements that has made it so, or do you
think that a similar zeitgeist would have been possible, if perhaps not as
varied?

New elements help but the raw materials pre Star Wars(tm) were there for
clever designers to use. It's more about the thinking process, in my view,
than elements per se.

3. It is undeniable that LUGnet and other online communities have become one
of the driving forces behind the creativity - do you think that the growth
of these communities was accelerated by the new element availability?

Not the new elements so much as the draw in to LEGO(r) that occured because
of Star Wars sets and because of MindStorms(tm). If you look at people's
"why I came out of the dark ages" stories, those two things are the most
mentioned. IMHO. Those, more than new elements per se brought many newcomers
in, and the online communities facilitate the sharing of ideas and friendly
"I can top that!" competition that drives increased creativity and raises
the overall bar.

That draw in (and that the mix of people drawn in were more internet centric
than average) is what accelerated community growth, with some positive
reinforcement feedback the other way driving interest in the hobby upwards.

I believe there are no right of wrong answers to these questions...just
wanted to try and take a look into the heart of our shared phenomenon.

Great topic! Thanks for starting it!