 Space / 20334
Re: Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:39:47 GMT

"Xcalabur" <Xcalabur@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken • place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

Absolutely.  I would have to say (to be very general), SNOT.  People • realize
that there are other ways to stack the brick nowadays.

Haha! Guess which line first taught me about SNOT? Classic Space! There's
some irony for you.
It was those 2x2 right-angle brackets used typically for connecting the rear
nozzles. I saw them and instantly knew that I would be using these babies
for ever greater things - and I did.
Going back and checking the early catalogues, it seems that CS was also the
first theme to feature 1x2 hinge bricks, which also gave me a personal
building revolution (and they were useful for SNOT as well).
And then there's the turntable tiles they used which came out around that
time, which were also very useful. There are probably a few other elements
which premiered in CS, but I haven't examined the sets enough to find them.
The thing is, CS didn't initially explore much of the potential of the new
elements, so the designs didn't end up _using_ enough of them - which nicely
explains why, even back then, we could never get enough of those new
elements! :-)
I think that even back when CS came out, many of us young builders were
pushing further ahead creatively, it's just that we didn't have the Internet
to cross-pollinate our ideas and thus increase the pace of creative
innovation. It's that combination of new elements and cross-pollination
which has recently accelerated Lego space design.

Anyway, what you guys are saying about the Star Wars theme - hey, if we'd
had the Internet twenty years ago, CS would have done exactly the same thing
for us oldies.

This is also why Castle's such an un-stimulating theme for me. It was, is
and always will be just a buncha SOT basic bricks, slopes and arches... the
only elements it introduces are the sucky POOP/SPUD ones! I only buy them
for the minifig accessories. :-)

--
Cheers,
Paul