 Space / 20242
Re: Throwing one out to the .space peeps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
<snip some good comments>

1. Do you agree that a revolution in fan Lego space design has taken place
over the last 5 years or so?  How would you describe it?

Yes indeed.  More specifically I think that building techniques shared by
AFOLs have developed.  Each of us had one or two techniques the others might
not have thought of, and the meeting of AFOLs online has allowed all these
ideas to be joined and improved.  The sum of our parts (so to speak) is
greater than the whole.

2. Is it the availability of new elements that has made it so, or do you
think that a similar zeitgeist would have been possible, if perhaps not as
varied?

Some parts, like the click-hinges you mention (something I am still new to)
certainly allow some new and different ideas.  But I think the overall
improvement in our designs comes more from our influence on each other.

3. It is undeniable that LUGnet and other online communities have become one
of the driving forces behind the creativity - do you think that the growth
of these communities was accelerated by the new element availability?

Kind of a chicken and the egg thing.  Some of the growth could be from new
elements, but some of the new design ideas are from the growth.  I know for
one that my own building style has changed dramatically since joining
Lugnet.  Prior to Lugnet, my spaceships were all using the linear design
(inspired by our common experience with early TLC designs), and in other
themes my construction was equally based on TLC sets.  Over the past year or
two, my building style has evolved from small set-like ideas into more
complex models that include tiled-walls for accessing interiors, some SNOT
and angles, and increasing attempts use old pieces in new ways.

I believe there are no right of wrong answers to these questions...just
wanted to try and take a look into the heart of our shared phenomenon.

Right on!
-Hendo