 Space / 1575
Re: (Movie) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, Troy Cefaratti writes:
Would that be "How to colonize the Universe in 7 easy steps"? At least I • think
it was 7 steps. I have it and have read it. I have a couple of issues with • what
he has to say, but overall I would have to agree with you. I wish NASA (or • some
other up and coming space agency) would get their act together and start a • more
agressive space program. Why is it that we landed on the moon 30 years • ago, but
haven't been back since?

I believe it has something to do with NASA switching to the space shuttle
and no longer having a rocket big enough to get us anywhere....

Troy

Someone made a significant decision in the race to get to the moon when they
chose the system of orbiting earth/trans lunar injection and lunar orbit etc.
Basically, after the War, Werner Von-Braun had a fantastic single-use rocket
which could be developed QUICKLY and RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVELY to provide the
basis of the highly competitive space programme (vs Russia).

The whole development for the moon programme would have been far more
beneficial today if NASA had spent loads more $s and time and developed a re-
usable rocket at the time - even the Space Shuttle had alternatives which re-
used more parts but were rejected on cost/development time.

The US HAD to get to the moon first, of course, so it was just an equation of
time and money as usual. No change today!

Jon