 Space / 1562
Re: (Movie) Mission to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:01:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
This is somewhat off-topic for this group, but it is space related.

I went to see Mission to Mars last night and found it to be one of the worst
movies I've seen in a LONG time. The story line was generic and predictable.
The dialogue was cheesy. Even more so than Starship Troopers. There were
several EVA scenes where the characters weren't tethered to the ship, even
though they were in orbit around Mars with no hope of a rescue should anything
happen.

The final straw for me was also an EVA rescue scene. One character had run his
pack out of fuel and managed to turn himself into a Martian Satellite. The
rescuing character, after expending half of her fuel trying to reach him, was
commanded to stop at about the midway point otherwise she wouldn't have enough
fuel to get back to the ship. This bothered me very much, because it would
have taken the same amount of fuel to reach the victim and turn around as it
would have to stop midway and turn around. The only difference being the
ammount of time that a person would have to wait.

In short, save your money on this one. I sure wish I had my $8 back.

-Duane

Hmm... I kinda expected this exact outcome, from the very first preview. It
just gave off plain old bad vibe's. But what really got to me was NASA's role
in the movie. NASA, in my eye's, is a very sad sight indeed. NASA's plight to
propel mankind into the void of space is like a walrus trying to climb a
ladder, it's pretty well impossible. Considering fuel consumption and cost of
rocket launches alone, the billions of tax dollars being wasted on such a
hopeless...

   Oh well, to much rambling... On a final thought, go to your local library
and pick up a copy of "The Millennial Project" by Marshall T. Savage. The ideas
outlined in this book make to much sense, and while your at it, check out
http://www.millennial.org/ It's interesting, but not as interesting as the
book. (Hmm... this is getting a little to off topic, why am I even posting it
at all?)