 Space / 15473
Re: A massive undertaking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Sinn writes:

I await your recommendation XO.   : )

Wow, you honor me with the rank.  Thanks!

After carefully inspecting flight decks from the capital ships section of
Pallas Spaceworks, I think the practical scale of translation would be 12:1.
I realize this would make the project, well, massive, but that's what would
work with the support ships.

One problem that crept up on me is that few of the .dat-file links work on
Pallas Spaceworks.  :(  The only capital ships I was able to download were
the intrepid class frigate and triumphant class heavy cruiser.  I have
e-mailed Karim Nassar about this, but have yet to hear a reply.  Perhaps we
can find someone who has a set of downloaded .dats we can use?

On a good note,  If the 12:1 scale sounds too "massive", we could try a cap
ship without support vessels, such as the intrepid class.  Without a flight
deck to worry about, we could get away with a scale of 8:1 fairly successfully.

If we cannot get a reply from Karim, I guess we could go ahead without his
permission, as long as we credit him conspicuously and copiously.  If we
cannot get the missing .dats, we have the resources to go forward with
either the intrepid class frigate, at 8:1 or 12:1 or whatever, or the
triumphant class heavy cruiser, at 12:1.  The only .dats we'd be missing
would be some of the support craft.  But we could make do.   ;oD

That's the logistics report to date, sir!

XO Tim Romine (chuckle)
AFOL for life