 Space / 11625
11624  |  11626
Subject:
Group Building Experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:07:22 GMT

I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while now.  I have no
idea if this will work or not so no big deal if no one responds.  I'm also
not sure if others have thought of something similar to this so my apologies
if I've inadvertently ripped this off.

The idea could be used as a LUG activity as well but I'll focus on the
Online version for now.

I've built something with around 10 pieces or so (7 this time). I've taken a
picture of the creation and also taken another picture of the pieces I used.
I built it with common pieces.

I have no clear idea what this creation is but I'm xposting to .space for
now so it will probably have a sci fi feel.  Later if this is successful I'd
love to include all the themes.

The next step is for someone to reply to this post that they would like to
continue the creation.  First person to reply gets to carry the torch.  This
person will use my pictures as a guide and build what I've made so far.
Color is not really important.  If you want to keep it just like mine thats
fine or you can give it your own color scheme.  Add another 10 pieces or so.
Take a pic of the finished step and another picture of the pieces you used.
Post in the same thread and pass it on.

Repeat.

At this point I (and anyone who would like to participate) will copy the
second step.

-I'm not sure if this should have a certain amount of predetermined steps or
if it should just continue on till its "done".
-Make it funny or serious. Its up to you.  One step could be silly ( like
palm tree wings etc..)and then the next builder could attempt to steer it
back to a more focused idea.
-Try to use common pieces that everyone might have, but if you don't have
the pieces from a certain step just improvise.
-I'm making this old fashioned right now (with a camera) because I know not
everyone is LDraw savvy.  On the other hand if you don't have a camera and
you can LDraw and want to participate, go for it.
-I know that it might get harder to copy a step as a creation gets more
complex.  If you're not sure where the pieces go in a step just put them on
anyway.  :-)
-If this is a success we could consider starting a communal Brickshelf
gallery to put the steps in, with a username and password passed along in
email.
-I haven't thought of a name for this but "Chain Build" or "Relay Build"
might be good.

I'm sure theres a ton of other stuff I'm forgetting.  Oh well.  If you like
this idea reply to this post and we'll see where this goes.  If you think
this is stupid thats ok too. :-)  If you have any ideas for it please let me
know!

-Jon