 Space / 11586
Re: what defines a MOC as blacktron? was: (2nd Annual Space Building Contest)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:21:47 GMT

I said I'd post it...

My slightly more serious response, **based on how my BT1 sets fit into my
LEGO fantasy world**:

In lugnet.build.contests, Richard Marchetti writes (re: BT1):
Who are the good guys(are there good guys and
bad guys, or just political disagreement)?

The BT1 are the space force formed by Vathan Boldt of Darknia.  He used
them to assault the Billundian lunar colonies (Futuron and Classic) at the
start of the Darknian Occupation, a three month period when the Darknians
conquered and ruled the world (Valyance) in 1990.

Are the Blacktrons part of a rebellion?

Actually, as they had conquered the world, it was everyone else who rebeled
against them.  During the summer of 1990, a number of Lortarian miners on
Moon II (MTron) modified their tools as weapons and managed to free a number
of imprisoned Billundian pilots.  These heroes were specifically officers of
the Billundian Federal Space and Pilot Corp (FSPC), the military of the
colonies (SP1).  Thereafter, Resistance groups sprung up all over the globe,
including eventually the Darknian Castle District (ruled by Vathan's sister,
Uchenna).

Some people just don't like oppressive dictators ruling planetary systems I
guess...

Why do Space-heads love Blacktrons?

I like BT1 because at the time they were new, I was just developing my
fantasy story of the planet Valyance, and my antagonist Vathan Boldt (see
above) was just building his space force.  As I was using LEGO to represent
my fantasy (still do), the series fit right in.

Are the Blacktrons part of some weird unisexual race? Are they homosexuals?
Where are the female Blacktrons?

Many Darknian pilots and infantry are in fact women.  Most people just
don't realize it with the helmets and visors.  I notice that many people
(myself included) often make the mistake of assuming that all helmet-ed
mini-figs are "men" or "guys".  If you can't see hair under the helmet, it
is just as likely a woman without makeup as it is a man -that's how I play it.

Why are they always smiling

Actually, I modified all my BT1 faces with a marker to give them arched
eyebrows.  Oh, so sinister!  (Back then there were no grumpies yet.)

Do they have pets?  Do the Blacktrons like cookies? Do the Blacktrons
brush their teeth? Do they have teeth? What do Blacktrons do for fun?
Do the Blacktrons have art?  What kind of music do they listen to?

Well, for the most part, the pilots and soldiers of Vathan's space force
were secretly recruited from the populace of the Darknian Town and Castle
Districts.  So, they probably had the same interests and dental work that
any other such mini-figs might have had at the time.

Do they *like* being captured by the Space Police?

Vathan's brainwashing techniques during training were very effective.  All
Darknian space pilots were trained to fight "until victory or death".  Very
few were captured until the very end of the Lunar War in 1991 (after
Vathan's death).  Even then, a number of them escaped to live in small
space-pirate groups called the Boldtarian Exiles, on Moon IV.  Although by
the end of the 1990s, most Exiles had died from the hazards of space.

Are the Blacktrons lamers?

If I take your meaning...

Billundian's would say, "Yes, they blew up Moon III for Fate's sake!"

Lortarians would say, "In the end they were.  And if they come back, they
still will be, since now we have the Class V and a fleet of Lunar Guard
craft around Moon II."  (Lortarian Lunar Guard is SP2.)

Darknians would say, "We must be forgiving of them, since mostly they were
brainwashed and misled by the Dishonourable ways of the late Prince Vathan."

Ensign Joseph Coole of the FSPC would say, "I think their spacecraft and
lunar surface vehicles were designed by the most creative engineers of their
time!  I can't wait to retire so I can open a museum to display both replica
and authentic rebuilds of Lunar War era spacecraft!  If only the hand-of-god
would do that, I would be happy."

Are the Blacktrons inveterate communications eavesdroppers? etc.

They were during the 1980s, before the Lunar War.  At one time they had a
network of spies throughout the Billundian Space District.  All of the
weapons systems the Darknians used were in fact exact copies of Billundian
designs.  Some conspiracy theorist-figs think many such spies still live in
the colonies today...

Okay I am done now.  Sorry for that interruption...

8^)

-Hendo
http://www.valyance.com/
http://www.valyance.com/home/lego/