 Space / 11444
Re: Chapter 2 of Subterfugitives Webcomic now online!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:40:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Kuester writes:
Thank you for your comments, I understand that the story may seem very
dis-jointed right now, but I promise that everything comes together very
soon.  There is a lot of backstory that isn't shown because I wanted to make
the story more mysterious and focus on the main characters more than
anything else.  I hope there is a balance in the difference of what the
characters know and what the reader knows, so that you can emphathise with
each individual.

Yes, it works, the mystery is seductive. The reader knows little. That makes
the characters very engaging. Because these poor minifigs have so sparse
knownledge! And they miss so unique occasions to communicate! Hurry up,
minifigs! When you know it could be too late!

Good luck with your comic!  I look forward to seeing it!  When you say your
story is inspired by Dune, do you mean it is set in that world, or just
similar to Dune?  Just curious.

My comic story will not set in DUNE world. It will have no spice, no worms,
no emperor, no bene gesserit, no space guild. Nor anything similar to these
popular DUNE elements. I will use official space themes where Blacktron is
evil, Futuron is good and Space Police is neutral. I have many goals:
1. extend beloved official themes with new creations
2. give my own interpretation of lego space universe
3. write my own SF story line
4. try a new story telling structure
5. demonstrate LDraw, MLCad and POV-ray
6. give full building instructions
7. stimulate original lego creations inspired by official themes

About the story line:

It is non-violent. Each side is the owner of an elementary principle and
competes to spread it to the whole universe. This principle is of a dual
mystical and chemical nature. Mystical because each principle encompasses
life. Chemical because each principle can basically be associated to an
atomic element. At this point I have not yet decided where in the story I
should reveal what atoms are intented. Right on the start? Middle? End? Or
not at all? Although one can easily guess what element should be associated
to Blacktron, is'nt it? Also, each side has its own champion. I think there
is enough elements here to refer to DUNE rather than star wars or star trek.
But there is no further connections to DUNE universe.

About the story telling structure:
The story telling is divided into three parts, one for each side. Otherwise
it is linear. I mean if the reader merges the blacktron chapters, the
futuron chapters and the space police chapters, then the result is a classic
linear story. Moreover, I hope that the story will be somewhat "pluggable".
Chapters will be presented as little stories by themselves. When creating
chapters, the story chronology will not be strictly respected. Also note
that how the story ends or even whether it ends is still a question for me.
That means that the comic development could suddenly stop at a crossing
point until I known how to continue.

With all these requirements, don't expect the chapters to have more than ten
to twenty pictures on average. Also don't expect any start before year 2002.
And then expect slow and irregular updates. Moreover, additionnal
constraints, including unavailability of software or updates, missing LDraw
parts, poor POV knownledge, can further defer my project.

Remember: my previous post was just a comment about "Subterfugitives". Not
an announcement neither an engagement. I could defer or even give up. In the
case I give up, my efforts would not be totally useless because my LDraw
creations are stand alone. Lego creation is my primary focus. Fiction and
comic is only a secondary one. As a last resort I could reduce the story to
the minimum necessary to expose my creations.

See my early POV lego creations at:
http://brickcaster.multimania.com

Could www.multimania.com solve your tripod limitations, Joel?

See "Subterfugitives" at: