 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 800
    LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   Does anyone have an example or two of using LNP so two RCX units can communicate with each other? I have been searching all over the place, looking through the header files and everything for weeks. Am I missing some well hidden documentation page (...) (25 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) To get a somewhat crude explanation of how LNP works, and how to make RCXs with different LNP-Hostaddresses, i'd suggest to read thread 'LNP Addressing Schemes', last week in this newsgroup. However, if you don't need addressing or several (...) (25 years ago, 7-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   Thankyou very much Martin, that worked like a charm except for the lnp_addressing_write...t,srcport) which works as lnp_addressing_send(...t,srcport) Probably just a typo just thought I better let anyone else know who maybe interested. Now all I (...) (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) hmm, really strange, in my legOS-distribution the name of the function is lnp_addressing_write, there is no function named lnp_addressing_send -- where have you got your legOS ? (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   Woops sorry I was referring to the bit above that (...) I think this should be write not send. (...) (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) of course, Michael ! BTW, if anybody out there does LNP communication involving several RCX's and a PC running lnpd, i'd be very interested in unsatisfying results, especially regarding congestion -- having only 1 RCX i could never test lnpd (...) (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   I've got 2 RCX's and 2 pc's in the same room so will be working with this over the next couple of weeks. The 2 RCX units work really well, my next step is to get the PC's to join the party. My implementation of LNP so far leads me to believe it is a (...) (25 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) Great, i'd really love doing work like this. If you intend to use lnpd+liblnp on the PC side, i'd be very interested in the results. (...) yes, exactly. The addressing layer gives you connectionless functionality very similar to UDP. A packet (...) (25 years ago, 9-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   Just tell me if I am been lazy but I can't find the argp.h file anywhere. abacus:~/lego/lnpd+liblnp$ make depend for i in lnpd liblnp applications ; do make -C $i depend || exit -1 ; done make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mike/lego/lnp...blnp/lnpd' (...) (25 years ago, 9-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) you are probably using an older version of glibc, which doesn't have the argp stuff. This has been reported several times, and i begin to think it was a bad decision to use this interface instead of getopt(). However, it's so easy to use... If (...) (25 years ago, 9-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   Just updated my libc version (I love apt-get on debian linux... woohoo... it took about 30 seconds to update about 6 core applications on my system with a single simple command !!) Ok. it now complies without a problem and lnp also appears to run (...) (25 years ago, 10-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Martin Cornelius
   (...) Well, it's mentioned in the README ;-), but obviously not detailed enough. The problem is: the dynamic loader doesn't find the library you linked against. The dynamic loader is a program that is started whenever you execute a dynamically (...) (25 years ago, 10-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: LNP Example please —Michael Marklew
   *Embarrased look* sorry I shouldn't of missed that.. Sorry to hassle you but I am stuck yet again. The lnptest program just records collision after collision. I have no other IR devices in the area (as far as I know anyway) It doesn't display any of (...) (25 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        RE: LNP Example please —Toni Martinez-Colom
   I have observed the same behavior... only by night. I think it must be the tower receiving echoes of its own packets. The sollution: place the tower far away from objects that can reflect light (including yourself). I also changed the tower battery (...) (25 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Martin Cornelius
   (...) i had never seen this interesting effect, because i always had my tower in near mode, where it only happens if you put the tower straight in front of a wall. I suspect it's a little more complex to explain what happens here, because the tower (...) (25 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Michael Marklew
    No matter what I do (opening the window, turning on more lights etc) I can't get the tower to stop seeing collissions. I must admit that IR reflects so well in my house that the TV remote works form other rooms. So I tried loading your patch (...) (25 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Martin Cornelius
   (...) Pardon, Mike, i should have anticipated that, because i had the same problem when i first tried to apply a patch. The usage of patch is a little uncommon: You have to provide the patch through stdin !. Thus, i'd suggest the following (...) (25 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Michael Marklew
   I applied the patch manually (ok. I admit it was fairly obvious where the changes had to be made) Maby I made a mistake applying the patch or something as I still get Collission errors. I tried two IR towers in both near and far mode, still the same (...) (25 years ago, 14-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Martin Cornelius
   (...) Someway it looks like there is another problem with your setup, in near mode i have never seen the collision problem. Perhaps your encountering the problem reported by Toni: Obviuosly his uart does not work in 16450 mode, but does work in (...) (25 years ago, 14-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Michael Marklew
   Thanks for you help Martin. I tried the uart stuff with no change except for this: From further testing I realised that the data that the IR Tower is sending is been recieved by the RCX (woohoo) even though a collision is reported for every sent (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

        Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode ) —Martin Cornelius
   (...) Michael, have you rebuilt lnpd with the transceiver.c i sent you ? The collision problem should completely go away then. I could also send you a statically linked version of my latest version of lnpd, just to check it isn't a compiler problem. (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)