 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 825
RE: LNP Example please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:55:24 GMT

I have observed the same behavior... only by night. I think it must be the
tower receiving echoes of its own packets.

The sollution: place the tower far away from objects that can reflect light
(including yourself). I also changed the tower battery for a less charged
one. The collisions disappeared. By day the ambience light is so high that
the tower doesn't see its own packets.

Alt least it worked for me!

Good luck!

Toni

Michael Marklew <mike@idl.net.au> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
FpsKt8.CEo@lugnet.com...
*Embarrased look* sorry I shouldn't of missed that..

Sorry to hassle you but I am stuck yet again. The lnptest program just • records
collision after collision. I have no other IR devices in the area (as far • as I
know anyway) It doesn't display any of the data I am sending it and the • RCX
doesn't show anything being recieved either.

Any ideas/suggestions please ?

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Martin Cornelius writes:
Michael Marklew wrote:
However,
I can not get the demo lnptest to run. I get

./lnptest: error in loading shared libraries: liblnp.so.0: cannot open • shared
object file: No such file or directory

I checked the makefile and it points to ../liblnp which is where the • complied
library is.

Well, it's mentioned in the README ;-), but obviously not detailed
enough.

The problem is: the dynamic loader doesn't find the library you linked
against. The dynamic loader is a program that is started whenever you
execute a dynamically linked program, and makes sure the dynamic
libraries used by your program are mapped into memory. By default, the
dynamic loader looks for dynamic libs in some standard places, which are
listed in file /etc/ld.so.conf. However, the dynamic loader doesn't scan
this directories (this might take far too long), instead it get's the
needed information from binary file /etc/ld.so.cache.

So, the option a sysadmin would take:

copy liblnp.so.0.0.1 into one of the directories listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf, perhaps /usr/local/lib, and (as root) run
/sbin/ldconfig. This will scan the directories listed in ld.so.conf,
update the cache file, and create a symbolic link from liblnp.so.0.0.1
to liblnp.so.0. The link is created, because the actual name of the
library stored in the library itself, the so called soname, is
liblnp.so.0. This is also the name stored in your program during
compilation.

If you don't want to touch system files, this is the safe user way:

If you set Environment Variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a colon separated
list of paths ( like PATH ), the dynamic loader will scan all
directories in this list for dynamic libraries. This is the way i use
this mechanism: i have a lib diectory under my HOME, where i put all my
self-made dynamical libs, and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my HOME/.bashrc to
this directory. Recall, the dynamic loader looks for the soname, what is
liblnp.so.0. So i follow the common trend to copy liblnp.so.0.0.1 to
~/lib, and create a symbolic link from liblnp.so.0.0.1 to liblnp.so.0.
However, you could also just rename it.

The third option is to link partly statically, which means, system libs
are linked dynamically, but the linking of liblnp ist static. You
arrange this by simply removing the shared libs, (actually you only have
to remove the symbolic link liblnp.so), before making lnptest.c. In this
case, the linker sees no dynamic library and falls back to static
linking against liblnp.a. If you never plan to use several different
programs linked against liblnp simultanously, this maybe the way to go.

BTW, you can test which dynamic libs are used/found to run <program> by:
$> ldd <program>

hope that doesn't confuse you even more, Martin