 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 746
Re: legOS documentation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:14:34 GMT

I really wish I had time to maintain the docs. Heck, I wish I had time to
pay with the toys. :| Unfortunately, the professor who basically gave me
credit to write the docs and mess with everything has left Duke for
private research in New Jersey (he loved Duke, but his wife didn't) and
so I have to take a real class instead of do this.

So- anyone who wants LaTeX sources for my docs is welcome to have them and
take them over. I recommend lyx (http://www.lyx.org) and can also provide
lyx sources. If it is going to be a windows-centered person who is going
to take over, then I suggest just taking the HTML and working with that- I
would be very unhappy if I can't read a future version of my docs because
they are Windows only.

Alternately, if people more familiar with 0.2.x don't want to take over
the whole thing, I'd be happy to update portions of the doc to reflect
what is actually going on. I still have plenty of time to write and edit-
just none to play with legOS. So, if people want to just send me updates
(which has happened with the install instructions but nothing else) I'd
be happy to steal a weekend sometime soon and incorporate all patches I
recieve. Clearly, this is not the best solution, but if no one else is
willing to coordinate and organize and take all the responsibility, then
I can certainly do that. I just can't read legOS source again for a while :(

Finally, my machine is certainly stilll available for hosting, no matter
who ends up editing and organizing. It has the advantages of being a)
free and b) the place which is already linked to. Again, I don't object
if people want to put it somewhere else, but familiarity has it's advantages.

One other note- Markus is not writing a book. Rather, he is writing a
chapter (in German!) for the German version of O'Reilly's Unofficial
Guide to Lego Mindstorms. I have already spoken to possible translators
here, and he has offered me a copy, but I have no idea whether or not it
would be legal to translate or even quote on the web, which I think is a
necessity for any serious legOS documentation.

Good luck everyone- if you are interested in taking over, getting
source, or contributing changes, let me know.
-Luis