 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2061
Re: LegOS forced to use another name?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:30:38 GMT

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Troy's Surplus Lego wrote:

I'll note, for the record, that TLG has been aware of legOS for 2 1/2
years without having ever publicly complained about it. I guess that's
what irritates me about this. They've had plenty of time to complain
about this before now.

So, if they had sued him 2.5 years ago, you would have supported them?  Just
wondering.

It's because of thinking like this that most companies would have sued him
long ago...

In the US, at least, a trademark *must* be defended, or the company loses
it. If legOS does, in fact, infringe on their trademark, they would have
had to defend it pretty quickly or that usage would pass into the public
domain. Or something like that. The point is that the law requires them to
go after this stuff in a rapid fashion if they care about defending it at
all. I wouldn't have supported their action if they had done it right
away, but I would have understood it. But waiting this long before acting
is just foolish.

--
"From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon.
And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go." -- Jim Lovell

Mike Ash - <http://www.mikeash.com/>, <mailto:mail@mikeash.com>