 Robotics / 8123
Re: Homemade LED Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:49:02 GMT

Russell Nelson <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:14380.1027.389073.809639@desk.crynwr.com...

Yeah, but it's not 9 volts.  It's 9 volts minus the .7 volt drop
across the LED.  Plus some of the new eyeburner LEDs take as much as
40ma, so you have to know how much current the LED takes.  Give it too
much and you greatly shorted its life.

Its not .7 volts for an LED its more like 1.8volts and its takes 20ma if you
want for full brightness for a typical display LED.  (or more for a
eyeburner like Russells)  Also, I see more like 8.5volts out of the RCX not
9.
So (8.5-1.8)/330 = 20ma.  Now things get worse with blue LEDs they have
something like a 3volt drop.  The bottom line is: If you use a series
resistor that is larger than 330 nothing will go wrong.  The LED just won't
be quite as bright and what is the fun in that?