 Robotics / 8179
Re: Homemade LED Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:21:37 GMT

I've made a few LED 'bricks, and am about to make some more
like "Flashing towers" with some of the ??name?? tapered
cones and transparent small round tops.

330 Ohms is my pick; plenty bright at about 20 Ma for most
LEDs and dims nicely with "Set Power".  I usually run
power level 5 with efficient LEDs and they are plenty
bright. The AVERAGE current must be about 10 Ma.

My 8 year old granddaughter was fine last week with the concept
that "you have to write a separate TASK for the computer if
you want it to blink the lights at the same time it's
driving the robot".  She wrote task blinker() pretty fast, and
start blinker    and    stop blinker   were obvious.

I have two separate LEDs 'back-to-back' in most of mine. The
"bicolor' LEDs I have from Radio Shack have 3 terminals and
cannot be run so that reversing polarity changes the color.
Anyone seen a TWO-TERMINAL  bi-color LED???  It would be nice for
fitting into a small transparent beacon.

I have successfully made contacts on my bricks with copper foil
tape on a standard brick.  I'll put up a .JPG if someone can tell
me where there is an appropriate Binary location on this server....

GOTTA have Blinking Lights!!!!!

--
Regards,
Terry King   ...In The Woods In Vermont