 Robotics / 8113
Re: Homemade LED Bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:23:05 GMT

basicly.. it's i*r=v where i = current in amps and r = resistance in ohms
and v = voltage in volts..
so..
If we want to find out the resistor's value.. we re arrange it like so..
r = v/i
so 10 millamps (typical led current) = .01 Amps..
And at 9 volts it becomes

r = .01/9
r = 900 ohms

there..
<G>
I went to votech for electronics.. <G>

----- Original Message -----
From: C S Soh <cssoh@singnet.com.sg>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Homemade LED Bricks

Michael Gasperi wrote:

David Johnston <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:LOBBJCENKNHFLCKICLNNIEODCAAA.djohnston@tinet.ie...
not being an electronic engineer, what is "appropriate"?

I'd say 330 Ohm 1/4 Watt.

Er, 330 ohm may be ok for the usual transistor type circuit where the
nominal supply voltage is 5 volt,  if my memory has not failed me.

It may be a bit low, I think, for the RCX where the nominal voltage is 9
volts which is almost double of  5 volt. So maybe a resistance of 680
ohm would be more "appropriate"?

But then I'm not an electronic engineer either. Just wanted to be sure.
--
C S Soh

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~cssoh
... where air is power