 Robotics / 6704
Re: Micro Scout can run off its own motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:02:24 GMT

i have found out that the futuron Monorail works much the same way. Connect
a light to the monorail motor, and run the motor on the track. The lights
will be lit! I assume it is because the motor functions as some sort of
generator.

I just got the Droid Development kit. Try this:

* Connect an axle to the motor of the Micro Scout. Disconnect and/or remove • any
other things that you have connected to the Micro Scout.

* Take out the batteries (if any)

* Start turning the motor clockwise. Notice that it has some inertia.

* While holding it in one hand, use the other to get it to rotate • continuously
at 5 to 10 revolutions per second.

* While it's rotating, use the hand you're holding it with to hit the • ON-OFF
button. Keep the motor going at 5-10 revolutions per second.

* It will beep twice and go through its startup sequence (L, E, G, O, • number)

* If you keep the motor going you can hit SELECT and see the numbers • change.

* You can even hit RUN and it will try to run the program. I don't know yet
what the 7 programs do so it would be pointless to try to describe what's
happening. I'll just note that sometimes it makes noises and sometimes the
motor resistance gets really high, presumably because the program decides • to
try to run the motor in the opposite direction from that in which I am • turning
it.

Cool, huh?

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13