 Robotics / 6656
Re: Lego Calipers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Ben Williamson) writes:
[...] I used the 20t gear in my (very simple) calipers
which are now on the web:

(actual URL is http://www.pobox.com/~benw/lego/calipers/index.html )

Those 4-stud-long gear rack thingies have 10 teeth each, and I wanted to
get close to one increment on the rotation sensor per stud of movement.
With the 20t gear it works out at an increment per half stud, which is
fine.  Now I can go around my house and measure everything in real units -
Lego studs.  :)

Those calipers are pretty cool. It seems to me though you could get more
precision, since the slop on the gears is a lot less than half a stud. The
rotation sensor presents very little friction torque, so I imagine you could
add a 5-to-1 expansion stage (with a z40 and a z8) and it would still work
fine. Then you would have a reading in 1/10 stud increments, a lot more
convenient than 1/2 stud increments because you don't have to divide by two --
just shift the decimal point over.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13