 Robotics / 6605
Re: multiplexed touch sensors [was: Re ideas for a RIS 2.0]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:55:32 GMT

Brian B. Alano <alano@kiva.net> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Kekoa Proudfoot writes:
I don't doubt that there are reasonable creations that e.g. press a touch
sensor button halfway for extended periods of time, but I can't think of
any off the top of my head.  Can anybody help me out here? • (snip)
-Kekoa

I managed to use this touch sensor "feature" as sort of a poor man's bend
sensor to improve my wall-following robot. It's a torbot-type design with a
left and right feeler-type bumpers in front.

I gather the lever arms of the feelers gave you enough control over the
touch sensor to stay mostly in the 100 to 110 range?  It would seem to be
difficult to keep the touch sensor in that position for long periods of
time, since the sensor is reasonably sensitive, but okay, I agree this is a
valid and interesting example of what I said was looking for.

Getting back to multiplexing sensors though, you would have to assume that
anybody who used those would have to be interested in binary pressed/
not-pressed values only, since you can't get multiplexed sensors to work in
any other way...  My question would then be if there are reasonable
creations that use a touch sensor in a binary fashion and e.g. press a
touch sensor button halfway for extended periods of time.  (Add: use a
touch sensor in a binary fashion.)

Certainly you could then bring up bad cases like a Torbot-like robot that
would cause the system to fail, but that would be bad engineering in terms
of making the switch throw quickly enough, wouldn't it?

I don't know where I'm going with this.  Feel free to ignore this message.

-Kekoa