 Robotics / 6539
RE: touch sensors aren't just switches (was Re: ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:28:57 GMT

I think it also removes the need to eliminate "keybounce", the annoying thing
that happens with real switches due to dirt on the contact surfaces and tiny
arcs (sparks) just before initial contact.

The actual source of bounce is NOT the arc just before contact. It actually
is the bouncing of the contact due to the action of the spring in the contact!

Well, if you were switching a really high voltage through a small switch, you
would get arcing, and then eventually the contacts would either weld shut or
carbon would form an insulator and the switch would never really close.

Oh, what a fickle thing it is when we mix mechanics with electronics...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com