 Robotics / 6529
6528  |  6530
Subject:
touch sensors aren't just switches (was Re: ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:23:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John A. Tamplin writes:
Put a touch sensor port into raw mode and watch the values you get as you
gradually depress the sensor.  There is not a sharp cutoff like there is
with a typical contact switch.

I tried building a touch sensor multiplexor, but I was unable to reliably
get even 3 to work because the minimum resistance is quite large and
because the transition from infinite to that minimum resistance is quite
gradual.  By switching to micro-contact switches, I was able to reliably
get 4 switches to work, including operating with a wide range of battery
freshness.

Wow. That's pretty darn disappointing. I even bought extra touch sensors to use
in multiplexed designs (but I haven't made the multiplexer yet). I guess I'll
have to build some of my own touch sensors...

I wonder why LEGO designed the touch sensor that way and then made the
programming environment ignore it?

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13