 Robotics / 6530
RE: touch sensors aren't just switches (was Re: ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:51:06 GMT

I wonder why LEGO designed the touch sensor that way and then made the
programming environment ignore it?

Many "buttons" in today's electronic devices are designed that way. Check
your TV remote control, your key-chain remote control for your garage door
opener or car alarm, the buttons on your phone etc. It eliminates the need
for a physical switch. All you need is a pair of copper pads under each
button. These are just part of the normal circuit board that you need
anyway. The rest is a hole in the cover, a piece of plastic ("the button"),
a spring, and a small piece of conductive rubber.

You can't use such a button for position measurements. The amount of travel
from first contact to full contact is very small, and the readings will
probably not be accurate or repeatable. You set it up to read "on" below a
certain resistance, and "off" above the trigger point.