 Robotics / 6540
Re: touch sensors aren't just switches (was Re: ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 05:50:03 GMT

In article <FH02r0.Hn7@lugnet.com>, "Robert Munafo"
<munafo@NOgcctech.SPAMcom> wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Tilman Sporkert) writes:
Many "buttons" in today's electronic devices are designed that way. Check
your TV remote control, your key-chain remote control for your garage door
opener or car alarm, the buttons on your phone etc. It eliminates the need
for a physical switch. All you need is a pair of copper pads under each
button. These are just part of the normal circuit board that you need
anyway. The rest is a hole in the cover, a piece of plastic ("the button"),
a spring, and a small piece of conductive rubber.

I think it also removes the need to eliminate "keybounce", the annoying thing
that happens with real switches due to dirt on the contact surfaces and tiny
arcs (sparks) just before initial contact.

You can still get keybounce on rubber buttons.  Perhaps there is a special
design that would eliminate keybounce entirely, but in my experience some
degree of debouncing is still required.

I believe the transition is a more gradual one since the resistance slowly
decreases as pressure increases, but there is still some chatter -
especially if you're wiring it into a CMOS gate that's going to make a
hard logical decision.  Perhaps a Schmitt trigger or something similar
could clean it up, but I've never tried the hardware solution - debounce
in software is easy enough.

In the case of the RCX, I believe the sensors are wired to the ADC and
there is some significant debouncing in the firmware.  Its been a while
since I looked at the code, but I think the debounce time is something
like 300ms.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com