 Robotics / 6604
6603  |  6605
Subject:
core problem of robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 05:42:16 GMT

it seems to me the core problem of robotics
is this:

trying to have as many independent output
actuators as possible while minimizing the
number of motorized parts. the actuators should
be fast, small, inexpensive, and powerful.

it seems to me this hasn't been solved elegantly
yet, at least in the lego system. one elegant
solution imho is pneumatics, but lego does not
have fast electrically-controlled valves (or
even any electrically controlled ones at all,
although I have seen some of the assemblies
out there)

I would like to see lego and independent inventors
focus on this problem.

for example, I want to create a walking biped
robot. i want to have something like 1 main motor
or compressor that handles all the power, with
cables or tubes into all the joint positions.

another related problem is a closed-loop feedback
system for each joint that tracks position.

hence I think what needs to be invented: a joint
or piston that is independently controllable
and which has a built in sensor of position.
to me that is one complete "unit" that many
robots require.

if anyone can point me to web pages that explore
this problem, I would appreciate it. I did a long
search on "pneumatics" on the lugnet archives
and found lots of interesting ideas, but nothing
very close.

whoever can focus and solve the above I think
will have a lot of effect in the robotics world.
it seems such a fundamental mechanical
problem that has not been "solved" yet.