 Robotics / 26224
Re: thoughts on gbc module reliability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:31:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Anders Isaksson wrote:

What about a 'splitter' with two outputs (nominally 0.5 bps/output)
and a 'joiner' for combining the two streams later on?

   That works, but it's not as simple as it sounds. Keep in mind with all the
below, it *can* be made to work: I'm not nearly as negative as I seem below :-).
First, you need a splitter and combiner that...
   (a) work At Least as well as a "normal" module. In other words, if these are
critical elements of the set up, they need to be "mil spec" and not fail,
period.
   (b) still follow the standard perfectly (as they will need to both receive
and feed other models within the standard).
   (c) have those extra input and extra output somewhere that won't interfer
with the other "standard" modules. Possible (with the ability to swap modules
around... this is one reason in fact that my modules tend to be smaller, for
flexibility in set-up).

   If you want this just so you can use it as a 0.5 bps by-pass of a section,
then you have to have a way of running the by-pass. A long sloping ramp down the
back seems like a good idea, until you realize that the standard doesn't allow
anyhting behind a certain backplane (and that's usually where the train runs),
and running it along the "front" is problematic because you don't know how deep
a module might be (the standard leaves this open).

--
Brian Davis