 Robotics / 26196
Re: thoughts on gbc module reliability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:31:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Thu, June 29, 2006 4:11 pm, Dave Hurley wrote:
I think the standard is always open for interpretation and revision, but I think
it's written with enough wiggle room for most situations.  I think it would be
an accomplishment if we were able to get a large majority of people to follow
it!

This may be where some people get into trouble.  The height & placement of the in &
out baskets is a hard requirement.  So is the minimum of 1 bps.  People MUST follow
the standard, in order for the GBC to work.

Last year at BrickFest, every one of the modules followed the standard.  Some
suffered reliability issues, but they still followed the standard.

Steve

I was wondering the exact same thing.  For BF06 planning purposes, I was
tentatively planning on having "throughput zones" grouped according to balls per
second.  The faster modules would be grouped together just as the slower ones
would be with others of similar speed.  My big mama-jama module can barely do
.4bps on a sunny day. The junction between the faster to slower modules can be
regulated with what I call "leaky bucket" modules to regulate/throttle the ball
flow from faster modules to slower ones.

Dave